I am planning an international vacation with my pet. What do I need to know?

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) recommends pets be microchipped with an ISO microchip (134kHz). Each country's rules and regulations vary regarding importation, quarantine periods, and vaccinations once a pet enters a country. You can speak with your veterinarian for more information and guidance, in addition to contacting the country you are visiting or relocating to in order to determine their requirements regarding microchips as well as vaccinations, certificates, etc.

Source: www.AVMA.org

The following are some helpful links for determining what you need to do in order to take your pet to another country.

  • National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) A part of the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), this organization regulates the import and export of animals in the US.
  • USDA Pet Export Information From the NCIE, this page contains specific information - including general instructions and links to further information - about the procedures for taking pets abroad.
  • Regulations by Country This page contains links to regulations in place in more than 100 countries.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful